Why I Hope My Brothers Identify as Feminists
Every new semester at college the professor normally has every person in their class go around and introduce themselves. "What's your name? Your major? What's something we wouldn't know about you?" My answers sound like this: "My name is Emma Harbaugh, I am an English major, and something you wouldn't know about me is that I have four brothers." This is always the fact I give my fellow classmates. Why? Probably because I wouldn't be who I am today without my siblings. This is something I know within my heart as a fact, that will always be true. After taking my first women's and gender studies course, I realized that I too wanted to be someone in my brothers lives that has helped shaped them into who they are as well.
Identifying as a feminist today has morphed into a term that many have adopted, but many on the other hand, have considered offensive. It's clear that there are so many definitions of what being a feminist can mean, and the media has highlighted a side of feminism that too many see as "man-hating". This is not the case. Feminism is all about equality amongst, not just men and women, but everyone. There should be even playing ground for all, no matter ones sex, religion, or race. If you believe that men and women, members of the LGBTQ community, all races, and religions deserve respect and equality than you should associate yourself with feminism. Equal pay, equal opportunity, and equal respect for all. Simple.
Growing up, I had the extraordinary experience of living with four brothers. What does this mean? I was often questioned: "do you consider yourself a tomboy?" "From having all these boys around, have they made you tougher?". Let me make this clear: I played a part in making my brothers as tough as they are today. Even though I'm a girl, and after a while became physically much smaller than them, I showed them everyday that I could keep up with their shenanigans. From birth, gender is assigned according to one's biological sex. Growing up, if a girl rejects normal standards, i.e. doesn't play with dolls, her favorite color isn't pink, and she enjoys being outdoors, she is deemed as a "tomboy". Something she will inevitably grow out of, and will soon enough conform to societies standards of what a girl should and shouldn't be involved in. I grew up in homes that were littered with nerf guns, slingshots, and Leggos. Did this make me less of a girl? No. But I was infuriated when those looking from the outside in asked if having brothers made me act either "tomboyish" or if I was treated "like the princess" of the family. Gender stereotypes have infiltrated every part of a child's developmental stages, and this hugely effects how one perceives themselves as a young adult. It can be a very confusing time.
The reason why I hope that my brothers adopt feminist values is because when they think about women in the workplace, would they want their sister to be immediately put into a category of being "less capable" because of my gender? That being a women does not in any way effect my work performance, or availability for my job. The idea that feminism is "man hating" is complete bullshit, if you ask me. I respect and love my brothers, and know that there are so many amazing men in this world that do believe women deserve to be treated equally, but when is the world going to be okay with men, as a whole, sticking up for the women they love and support, to be apart of the norm? When people ask my brothers "are you a feminist?" I hope they think of the times growing up that I showed I am no less capable than they are, and answer with a confident "yes."
Identifying as a feminist today has morphed into a term that many have adopted, but many on the other hand, have considered offensive. It's clear that there are so many definitions of what being a feminist can mean, and the media has highlighted a side of feminism that too many see as "man-hating". This is not the case. Feminism is all about equality amongst, not just men and women, but everyone. There should be even playing ground for all, no matter ones sex, religion, or race. If you believe that men and women, members of the LGBTQ community, all races, and religions deserve respect and equality than you should associate yourself with feminism. Equal pay, equal opportunity, and equal respect for all. Simple.
Growing up, I had the extraordinary experience of living with four brothers. What does this mean? I was often questioned: "do you consider yourself a tomboy?" "From having all these boys around, have they made you tougher?". Let me make this clear: I played a part in making my brothers as tough as they are today. Even though I'm a girl, and after a while became physically much smaller than them, I showed them everyday that I could keep up with their shenanigans. From birth, gender is assigned according to one's biological sex. Growing up, if a girl rejects normal standards, i.e. doesn't play with dolls, her favorite color isn't pink, and she enjoys being outdoors, she is deemed as a "tomboy". Something she will inevitably grow out of, and will soon enough conform to societies standards of what a girl should and shouldn't be involved in. I grew up in homes that were littered with nerf guns, slingshots, and Leggos. Did this make me less of a girl? No. But I was infuriated when those looking from the outside in asked if having brothers made me act either "tomboyish" or if I was treated "like the princess" of the family. Gender stereotypes have infiltrated every part of a child's developmental stages, and this hugely effects how one perceives themselves as a young adult. It can be a very confusing time.
The reason why I hope that my brothers adopt feminist values is because when they think about women in the workplace, would they want their sister to be immediately put into a category of being "less capable" because of my gender? That being a women does not in any way effect my work performance, or availability for my job. The idea that feminism is "man hating" is complete bullshit, if you ask me. I respect and love my brothers, and know that there are so many amazing men in this world that do believe women deserve to be treated equally, but when is the world going to be okay with men, as a whole, sticking up for the women they love and support, to be apart of the norm? When people ask my brothers "are you a feminist?" I hope they think of the times growing up that I showed I am no less capable than they are, and answer with a confident "yes."
Comments
Post a Comment