Psychology to English - The Transferrable Effects

Entering college, like many others, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to be true for my professional career. Growing up I heard time and time again: "You're such a great listener, and offer a wisdom beyond your years." Pretty encouraging stuff, if you ask me. So in result of that I thought I would make for the perfect therapist. Helping people, as I have stated in my previous blog, is intertwined within who I am as a human being. What's a better way than channeling that sense of the "savior" within me than being a psychologist? Well, after taking my first psych class my freshman year of college, I switched my major to English about as fast as one could.

This was an interesting time for me, because obviously as you're heading off to school, those who have attended college warn you, with a glint of knowledge in their eye that they are holding, something you have yet to find out: "your interests and career choice will change. It just happens." But you go in anyway hoping that you already have it figured out. Once I realized that sitting and helping others move through their emotions and hardships within life would be really draining (and that I am terrible at science and learning about how the brain works was nearly impossible for me), I knew I needed to make a change. Naturally, I drifted towards English, having loved reading and writing my whole life. But let's get into what I imagined this piece to be about, which is what I hope to bring to my English degree by the time I graduate.

The hardest part for me changing my major was this overwhelming feeling that I might be making an astronomical mistake by not pursuing a job that speaks to the nature of my personality, but then I realized something extremely important. I can help with what I write. Words are arguably the most powerful force to create change, and offer insight.  I didn't start thinking in this way until I realized how much I care about the current state, and future of our country. How is this related, you may ask? Written words can be found, in the most literal sense, everywhere. There are so many platforms that can be used to speak out and against what you believe in, and you can gain a following, if you reach an audience that cares and connects emotionally with what you have to say. Within my journey of finding my true voice, I hope to connect with people through my writing, and focus on constructing pieces (eventually) that can make an impact. Obviously, I have not reached that point in my writing career, but as I continue to work towards my goal, maybe I will find a voice that can create change. There is nothing more that I want in this world than to leave it better than I found it. I learned this from babysitting, oddly enough, when my mom said to me "leave the house cleaner than what you found it, it takes your job to another level, and relieves the parents as they return from a night out." And just like that, my life mantra seeped into my being, and I have tried to bring that into all I am involved in.

This is a big aspiration of mine, and we'll see what I can do with it. I hope to be the kind of writer that  is impactful. Eventually I hope to get this blog to a place that is geared towards a more focused political insight, but as I continue to gain confidence and a stronger voice in my writing, eventually my posts will follow with growth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adulthood - What even is that?

Emma For Everyone

Another day, no dollar