Emma For Everyone

When I think about who I am today, and who I am meant to be, one specific memory from my childhood stands out. Ten years ago, I was in fourth grade. The prime time of my life, really. It was the year President Obama was elected into office. To be involved in the historic event, my fourth grade class participated in our own presidential election. I was elated. Going home, I expressed my excitement to both sets of my parents, and we began brainstorming about my campaign strategies.

Part of this project required a poster board including your picture, some key issues you wanted to address within the fourth grade, and your plan of action. My campaign slogan was "Emma For Everyone" expressing my genuine interest in the good of my fourth grade class. I knew I needed to be all accepting, that every single person should know they have a voice, and that I could be the one they could come to. What I brought to this project, and what I continue to bring to almost all that I am involved in, in my adulthood, is a sense of seriousness. And by seriousness I mean a deep sense of care for what I am involved in. By really diving into this campaign, I learned a lot about what is important about who I am and what I want to stand for. Today, I consider myself just at the beginning of the "waking up" process of being politically involved. But even in elementary school, I knew I cared about everyone around me. That my voice was important, and my opinions were valid. I grew up in two homes with four brothers, which made it a struggle for me to make sure I was heard all the time, but I'll tell ya...when I finally found that strong willed, demanding voice within me, people sure did listen.

Come election day, there were three of us left in the race. It was our final day to show why we would be the best choice to represent our class. I showed up that day with over 60 pennies, all with the slogan "a penny for your thoughts" attached to them. While my competitors were passing out cupcakes and cookies, I gave every student in my class a penny, welcoming them to understand the sincerity that I felt about being their president. I knew I wanted my people to know that they could come to me with their worries, and hopes for our class. My 10 year old mind was reeling with the thoughts of what I could do to be the change in my small rural elementary school.

As the day came to a close, we anxiously waited for our results. Over the announcements, that the whole school could hear, there had been a tie. Between me and the girl (who to me, in my fourth grade mind) embodied Summer from Napoleon Dynamite, promising my fellow classmates things like glitter dispensers in the girls bathroom. My class had elected two of us that could not have been more different, completely embodying the divide that is felt within the country today. I knew within my gut that I had what it took to lead my class to success, and I was furious that they didn't completely agree with me. This is the part of my personality that still shines through during times like this; I am confident in what I believe in and want nothing more than the people around me to understand that there should be a mutual respect shared between each other.

But there was not much that I could do as a ten year old in a fourth grade class election. So I stashed away my frustration, and got ready to share the presidency with my fellow classmate. I found out very early that if I'm going to participate in something, I am going to do it whole-heartedly, and also that I don't like tying for first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adulthood - What even is that?

Another day, no dollar