I Missed My Flight and Met My Future Self
So, I hate not being on time for things. A helpful but stressful quality, but when I got to the airport at 5:30 this morning there was nothing to be done about missing my 6am flight. There were an ungodly amount of people on the early morning flights, and these things happen. I was moved to the next flight, nothing too big to fuss about. Once I got settled again, I read until it was time to board the 8am flight leaving to Atlanta.
Boarding the plane, I get placed in a window seat (my favorite) and an elderly lady sits next to me in the aisle seat. We share pleasant, welcoming smiles and get comfortable. As we're waiting for the plane to take off, the woman turns to me and says "I haven't flown in 20 years. I'm a little nervous." I respond with something comforting, and ask where she's heading, hoping to help get her mind off the take off. She tells me she's headed to a conference for writers, where one of her pieces was just chosen for an award. Clearly excited, she talks about being a professor and being a part of the English world for 31 years. I tell her the journey within English that I am currently on. "It's such an amazing world to be apart of" she tells me, and smiles with a knowledge that can only be gained from 31 years of writing and teaching.
I pulled out two of the three books I brought with me, "Doing English" by Robert Eaglestone, and "Everybody Writes" by Ann Handley. She quickly whips out a notebook and jots down the titles, and we chat about the importance of being confident in yourself while writing. When the plane begins taking off, she looks at me with a sideways glance: "I'm not so nervous anymore. Thank you" and we both turn to our respected books. Enjoying the flight and diving into the literature sitting in front of us.
I hate to say it, but I really am a person that believes everything happens for a reason. I missed my flight (first world problem) and ended up on one with an experienced writer, with words of wisdom for my upcoming years. Someone I could help, while gaining an insightful conversation. I enjoy these little moments I come across in my world, reassuring me that there are so many good people who are ready to trade some stories.
Boarding the plane, I get placed in a window seat (my favorite) and an elderly lady sits next to me in the aisle seat. We share pleasant, welcoming smiles and get comfortable. As we're waiting for the plane to take off, the woman turns to me and says "I haven't flown in 20 years. I'm a little nervous." I respond with something comforting, and ask where she's heading, hoping to help get her mind off the take off. She tells me she's headed to a conference for writers, where one of her pieces was just chosen for an award. Clearly excited, she talks about being a professor and being a part of the English world for 31 years. I tell her the journey within English that I am currently on. "It's such an amazing world to be apart of" she tells me, and smiles with a knowledge that can only be gained from 31 years of writing and teaching.
I pulled out two of the three books I brought with me, "Doing English" by Robert Eaglestone, and "Everybody Writes" by Ann Handley. She quickly whips out a notebook and jots down the titles, and we chat about the importance of being confident in yourself while writing. When the plane begins taking off, she looks at me with a sideways glance: "I'm not so nervous anymore. Thank you" and we both turn to our respected books. Enjoying the flight and diving into the literature sitting in front of us.
I hate to say it, but I really am a person that believes everything happens for a reason. I missed my flight (first world problem) and ended up on one with an experienced writer, with words of wisdom for my upcoming years. Someone I could help, while gaining an insightful conversation. I enjoy these little moments I come across in my world, reassuring me that there are so many good people who are ready to trade some stories.
That’s so cool Emma!! Everything happens for a reason, you were totally meant to have that experience.
ReplyDeleteAw Court! Thank you for reading! And yes, I feel the same way.
DeleteEmma, this exemplifies what I think sets you apart as a person and a writer. Your curiosity and openness to the world (how many people still get to know those sitting around us on an airplane), your respect for - and interest in - the wisdom of others (you are a lifelong and daylong learner), and your ability to find the story within the experience. This is a gift you inherited in part from your father, but is expressed so beautifully and uniquely in your own voice. It is also something your Aunt Julie is quite adept at. It is a joy to watch you spread your wings and take flight.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for reading, and commenting Uncle Brad! And thank you for your kind words, I hope I stay the kind of person that gets to know those around me. The world is so much bigger and full of life when you are open to the opportunities it gives you. Much love.
DeleteThanks for this lovely story and life lesson, Em. Beautiful writing and story telling. ♥️
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading, Sandy! It means so much! So glad you liked it.
DeleteYou are always so generous with your time and your words, Em! I love that ability in you - looking out for someone else and wanting to be a part of calming your lovely neighbor. You are a gift to so many!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time in Florida with Aunt Patty, Uncle Kevin, and Grandma Jean Ann! ��
Thanks Loriann, I am glad I seized the opportunity. She gave me a lot of wise words. Love you!
Delete