Hey, it's Me - Healthy as can be

So clearly it's been a while since I've blogged. I feel equally disappointed and okay with this though. Disappointed in myself, yes, for not staying on top of my writing, but okay because sometimes life gets in the way of what you wish you could be doing to take care of some other pressing matters. Anyway, hey! I've officially finished my sophomore year of college and started my summer. This summer, I decided to change it up a little and stay on Adrian's campus and work. It's a pretty cool situation, student workers are housed in the dorms for free and you just wake up and walk to work every day. So far, I've really enjoyed the departments I'm working in, and the people I am working for. By staying at school, it also meant this was my first summer away from home, which admittedly, has been another transition into my adult life. It's been a good thing. But, recently I ran into some unfortunate health issues, and that's what I'll be writing about today.

Almost a week and a half ago I woke up feeling pretty awful, and drove myself (in excruciating pain) to the Urgent Care down the road from the school. I was given an antibiotic, and told to get some rest. Pretty simple. So I did as I was told, picked up my prescription (that $13 was painful to spend) and took it twice daily. A week into my antibiotic, I broke out in a serious rash all over my body. Covered literally head-to-toe in red blotches. This was very alarming, and definitely not something I have seen or had before. So I rushed to the nearest hospital (which happened to be in Ohio) and was told that I had one of two things - either a terrible allergy to Sulfa based antibiotics, or a type of strep throat that could turn into scarlet fever. There were a lot of firsts that day, my first real allergic reaction, my first steroid shot, my first visit to the emergency room without the comfort of at least one of my parents. It's pretty nerve wracking, not to mention I was also unbelievably itchy. It was not a comfortable situation. The doctors at the Ohio hospital prescribed me a new antibiotic, and sent me home. Many worried calls were exchanged between my parents and I, and it was decided that I would be heading home the next day for the support and comfort of my family. Thankfully, my aunt was able to pick me up the next morning, but my skin looked so alarming and seemed to have gotten worse, that she brought me straight to the ER back home in Kalamazoo. This was my third visit to doctors over the course of three days. With my mom meeting us there, we finally got some answers and relief. I was given more steroids, two new medications, and told that scarlet fever was out of the question, I just have an AWFUL allergy to Sulfa based antibiotics. Unfortunate situation, but at least I know now. 

It's now been almost two weeks of these health complications, and my skin is (slowly) but surely getting back to normal. This was a very real, very scary, situation for me. Never have I been so unsure about my health in my life. It felt like one wrong thing after another kept occurring which made it hard to stay focused on the goal of simply getting better. At one point I even silently cursed myself for never retweeting those "retweet or bad luck will haunt you forever" tweets on twitter. Thankfully I have an awesome support system, and now I'm back home for a few days, drinking tea and doing some blogging as steroids work in my body to correct all that went wrong. 

Part of what I realized in this journey though is the importance to your physical body. I have always tried to stay on top of my health, but as you get older, there is more that you need to be aware about. Taking care of yourself should be your number one priority, and if I'm being honest, this is something I really do struggle with. I know who I am well enough to say that I hate missing out on things. Activities, hanging out, even work. And so sometimes I shove my problems under the rug and move forward, not taking the proper steps of action to get healthy again. I can't stress enough how important it is to put you and your health first. Your friends will still be there, work will still be there, but there's not much to do if you put off your health for so long that you end up in bed for two weeks.  I have an awful habit of apologizing for situations that I truly have no control over, and I'm aware this is a quality I need to work on. As uncomfortable, itchy, burning, and downright awful the past few weeks have been, it has forced me into a position to really put myself first. I'm thankful for the experience, because not only do I now know what antibiotics I have to stay away from, but I also realize how crucial putting myself first can be. 

Again, I'm sorry for how long it's been since I've last written, and I really do promise to start getting some writing out in the world again. Thanks to all who read this, and for taking the time out of your day to read about me having an allergic reaction to medicine. Not a super fun topic to be reading about, but important to share. 

I wasn't lying about actually sitting at home drinking tea and blogging, and I'm ironically drinking tea that is supposed to help you give off positive energy. This is the quote hanging from my tea bag: "Say it straight, simple, and with a smile." I love when the universe works out with the life lessons I'm writing about that day. Just another sign that I'm right where I should be. 


Comments

  1. Welcome back! And a toast to your health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better Emma. This experience I imagine has also given you much greater empathy for the most vulnerable in our society, struggling with health issues, but lacking the infrastructure and resources available to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your on the mend! What a scary situation!
    But like you said, now you know and you can put your health first!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adulthood - What even is that?

Emma For Everyone

Another day, no dollar